Thursday, 9 February 2012

SaaS - Software as a service - Working together towards solving problems of the day

Software as a Service - SaaS is probably one of the finest innovations of the Internet yet. With people's abilities to use the Internet more frequently and more efficiently, essentially moving your desktop "on line" is naturally the next step. Think of it... no more restrictions of what you can and cannot do. No more restrictions of who you can contact and access. As part of a whole you are stronger and the delivery of work as a whole is less restricted by your silly scanner, e-mail storage limits and independent work flow calendars. More so, with the proper network set, you can find the right people instantly per job requirement and spend less time looking for the ideal employee. I can recount the many ways it was frustrating to find the right person for a specific job that I needed done "Today" without a network of people to tap into.


By buying into a service, you are contributing a comparatively small monthly fee (and sometimes it is free thanks to minimal advertisements along the right side of your screen) and receiving a MASSIVE, constantly updated and improved virtual machine. The power is in numbers and likewise, everyone benefits. The more participants there are, the more the developers can afford to enhance your experience.

From a work experience perspective, I have learnt over time, that not every one is naturally cut out to be an organiser - least an organised person. Furthermore, I found that I either had a very a big picture thinker in my team that could  never get anything done (not even keep notes) or in most cases, very talented people who are excellent at focussing on one thing but struggle to see the bigger picture.

However, having the work experience of Creative Direction, I can empathise with both sides of that coin for even with a tight well oiled structure of daily "scrums", constant reporting, target deadlines, etc. I was ever so grateful to have a database (even if it was an in house Access database). While working on developing On line work-related applications for other clients such as School Boards, Health Units, etc., I can easily picture how much of an improvement a SaaS would be for any work responsibilities either as a Manager or a contributing worker. While you are within a well structured network of easily accessible information, well organised work flows and instant support there is much less to gripe about at your job and much more time spent working feeling the rewards of a job well done.

Ultimately you have more people working together at solving the problems of the day, speeding up the momentum of progress (whatever that may be defined as for you) and lessening strife.

Less win / lose situations = less conflict = harmony

A.K.A. Everyone Wins

No comments:

Post a Comment